Sunday, May 25, 2008

On being girly.


I have come to a rather shocking realization recently.... I am mom to 2 girly.girls. And I just don't know quite how this happened. They have two older brothers. That alone should destine them to a tomboyish life, right?! And they have a mom that didn't start out life as anything close to being a frilly, girly type girl. I was the tomboy of my family. My poor dad had no sons, so I was the one accompanying him on his Saturday morning trips to the hardware store (I LOVED it when he bought nails because I got to help scoop them into the paper bag to get weighed - just like buying produce!) I had skinned knees and bruises all over and a dirty face and unkempt hair and dug in the dirt and hated showers and was a stinky kind of girl. I did manage to figure out regular showering, make-up and haircare in my adult life, but most days I sport sweats, tees, no makeup and am the poster child for a need for an ambush makeover (Oprah, are you reading?). I am just not the girly type. But somehow, my two girls have learned the LOVE of being a girl, at a very young age. Of ruffles. Of tea parties. Of giggling. Of makeup. Of nailpolish. And honestly. I am loving every minute of it.


We were invitees to a beautiful princess's birthday party yesterday, at Girly Girlz. What a fabulous name! (although I have to admit, the z instead of the s gets to me - I HATE mangled "spelling". Akin to spelling easy as EZ. Blech.) The girls got to have their hair done in up-do's (so fancy- glitter included!) and got their nails painted.



Being a girly girl is hard work.


But tea parties are just plain fun.


And they are even better when you have a sister to share them with. Trust me on this one.


Life is good, when you are 5 and 6 and allowed to be as girly and frilly and wonderfully silly as you want to be......
Why do they have to grow up?

5 comments:

myrinda said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! So fun! I don't have any sisters and I'm so happy my girls have each other! I can't WAIT for even more girly fun!
PS-I tagged you on my blog, blah blah blah ;)
http://www.fabrichound.com/blog/?p=25

And are you going to Houston, heehee!!!
M

melissa@yummygoods said...

hey gorgeous,
Well when I saw you, you were lookin' ALL girl! Damn!
Say hello to your darling man for me.
xo

Jenn said...

I just found your blog and LOVE IT! (I added it to my own!)...your girls are just adorable. I have 2 that are 2 years apart and super girly too...so much fun! I'm not the girly type either but they are turning me around ;)

take a bow Jenn

Louise said...

I was a tomboy tree climber too. My Darcy is as girly as they come. What happened there??!! Reminds me of a quote - don't know who by "When you were born, the world had to make way for a little more fancy." Sounds like it applies to your girls too.

Love your girls' skirts.
Louise

Leader of the Dream Brigade said...

Oh, my. That just looks like way too much fun! I have one girl but have been getting that urge lately to make her a sister. My luck, I'd get a 3rd boy!

Love your blog & fabric site, btw. I discovered it a few months ago but have somehow been a very good girl and not bought any fabric - yet. Once I use up some of the oh...$4k worth of fabric I currently have...watch out, sista! Opening an alterations/handmade boutique in August so I may start buying from you sooner than I thought. oh yeah - I linked to you on my blog, hope you don't mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...